Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Life at 5 a.m.; Cool breezes; Iron Maiden's gonna get you

It's amazing the things you see driving through Fondren Southwest at 5 a.m.
The morning updates that I do start at 6:20. I usually try to get to the station a little before 6, but I have to drive through a pretty bad area to get there. Over the last week, I have seen a naked man walking in the middle of the street (hung like a chipmunk), a prostitute still trying to get business at 5 a.m., a woman getting dressed at a bus stop, and a guy waving a gun at another dude in a car.
(I figure as long as the guy isn't waving the gun at me, it's all good).
(And no, the naked man and the prostitute weren't on the same day).
I tell my man Abel if I don't make it in one morning, they will probably find me dead at the Braeswood/Fondren intersection, shot in the head for the $4 I have in my pocket.
(Side note: there are some really cool folks I work with right now. Abel is one of them. Matt the Superstar is fast becoming one of my favorite people on the planet, and Julie Takahashi is hyper cool. And then there's Picachu, who is a hell of a good sport, considering how much we beat on him).
Meanwhile, tomorrow night, I'm going to go back in time and see Iron Maiden at the Woodlands. I hate the concert venue there, but...can't wait to see the show. And I can't wait to comment on some of the freaks I see there. I just wonder if it will be better or worse than Fondren Southwest at 5 a.m...

No comments: