Friday, July 25, 2008

Good cause; Elevator talk

If you heard the Main Event Tuesday night, you heard our interview with Jacob Zalewsky, a remarkable young man who suffers from Cerebral Palsy.

He is hosting a charity poker tournament at Hollywood Park on Sunday, Aug. 3. Those of you in the LA area (or anywhere on the West Coast, for that matter) please check out his Web site at allinforcp.com

Hollywood Park is minutes from LAX, so it's an easy day trip.

Jacob just blew us away on the show; I can't imagine a better cause. We are going to have him on the Front Page on Sunday, along with his good friend, Sam Simon, co-creator of The Simpsons. Please listen, and please support this cause. Our interview with Jacob will be up on podcast shortly at www.975theticket.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are a longtime reader of this blog (OK, it hasn't been around that long)...you know I've had some weird experiences on the elevator at the radio station.

I had another good one yesterday.

I had run to get a Kolache between updates and got on the elevator with three women; two very young-looking girls, probably early 20s, and one older woman in her 50s.

The older lady was talking, presumably to the others, as we got on the elevator. She was waiting for her phone to ring. Her uncle was having hernia surgery and she was surprised she hadn't heard anything.

As she was talking, however, she started looking at me, like she was talking to me, too.

Then she said she was upset she hadn't heard from her vet.

Her poor, 15-year-old beagle had been having problems.

"She has had diarrhea constantly," my new best friend said. "She has been spraying all over the living room. At least it's easy to clean up because it is so watery."

She looked at me with a matter-of-fact, sideways glance. "What can you do? She's 15."

I nodded in agreement and looked at her two young comrades for support, but they had become engrossed in their own conversation and slipped as far away from the lady as the elevator would allow.

Beagle Lady kept expecting me to say something. When I didn't, she picked right up again, talking about the smell of the dog when she, uh...fired. How she got the dog, how the dog was more likely to have an episode five minutes after she ate, and how...well, she's 15.

All three got off the elevator on the sixth floor, in perhaps the longest six-floor ride of my life. (We are on 7). As they got off the elevator, she continued the conversation, giving me a friendly nod as she got off the elevator, and apparently returning her attention to the two young ladies. She was saying how yellow it appeared when the dog took her pills.

I had never seen her before, and maybe I will never see her again. But I miss Beagle Lady. I wonder what the vet said. I wonder if Coco will be OK.

And...oh yeah...what about Uncle Paul?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please help out our show sponsors...www.smokeringcigars.com
If you are in the Clear Lake area, please get your stogies here and drop by and tell them we sent you.

Also make sure you visit our friends at Sam Houston Race Park (www.shrp.com)

And Matty the Superstar finally has his blog going at mattwwdean.blogspot.com

Coming next at Freddys World: Some details on a couple cool folks; Why our buddy Nikki can be my coach any day (but only if I move to Australia) ; more gratuitous references to Virtual Val and more strangers' dogs with diahrrea.

1 comment:

Dana said...

Dude...remind me to never ride in an elevator with you! You happen to encounter some of the strangest people in there.